- To develop systems of instruction that cause all students to think and work more creatively and to accept responsibility for their own learning.
- To encourage students to develop problem-solving strategies for confronting the unknown or unfamiliar.
- To increase the use and effectiveness of discovery learning in undergraduate education by promoting the development of discovery learning courses, modules, laboratories and technology.
- To collect evidence on the efficacy of discovery learning in improving students abilities to solve problems in and out of the classroom.
- To instruct future university professors on the development and implementation of discovery learning techniques.
- To instruct present and future teachers of K 12 on the development and implementation of discovery learning techniques.
- To disseminate discovery learning techniques to other research universities.